Skip to main content

"I Can't Dad"

A few years ago we took the family on a backpacking adventure. Little did I know that an experience at the end of
the trip with my 9 yr old daughter would, years later, teach me a profound lesson about the love that my Savior has for me. 

I think it was a little too much too soon for Ella, because she no longer wants to backpack with her mom, brother and I. We had planned a two night, three day backpacking trip to one of my favorite places in southern Utah. My good friend, his family, as well as my sister in law and her husband were planning to make the trip. 


When I was in college I took a class called Literature of the Outdoors. At the end of the semester I was able to go
along with a small group of classmates and my instructor on a two night backpacking trip to Coyote Gulch.
It was a life changing experience.
I have always loved nature and spending time outdoors but this trip was different. We walked for miles in the bottom of a
narrow canyon with towering red rock walls on both sides. There were a number of waterfalls, arches and other
awesome red rock features.
There were times that my breath was literally taken away by the majesty of it all. I was anxious to return and was
able to one time before with my family when Shara was pregnant with Burton. 

The days finally arrived to take my kids and we headed down into the canyon. It was a fantastic few days spent with family and friends. It was awesome to share this place with my kids. The final day of the adventure, we planned to scramble out of the canyon near Jacob Hamblin arch. The problem that struck us as we looked at our scramble out of the canyon was that this “scramble” was very steep. My college self looked at the world differently than the father of two did. It was steep enough on this face that there was a rope fixed to some rocks near the top that people could use to climb out. My wife was worried, my daughter was scared, my son was unfazed. 

My wife was worried and thought that this was a bad idea and so we discussed options. Option one: walk 6 miles downstream, climb a quarter mile sand hill, from hell, that we used last time we came as a family. That sounded awful.  Option two: walk up and out the wash at least six miles on an unknown trail. Option three: we make it up the scramble. We chose the scramble. I went up first and carried my daughters pack with me. I returned down and took my wife's pack up to the top. My son, who was 13, crawled right up with his pack no problem. He loved to climb and to be outside adventuring. Next up was Ella, who at the time was 9 yrs old. By this time she was crying and did not want to do it. I spent time talking with her reassuring her that she could do it and that I would help her. She kept saying, “I can’t dad, I don’t want to do it”. I told her “You can do this Ella. I am right here. I won’t let you fall or get hurt. I got you.” We started the climb. She grabbed the rope and started up on all fours with a death grip on the rope. I was there right behind her telling her she was doing great, “you can do this, you are doing great.”

The tears continued to flow, the “I can’t dad" continued to come, but we slowly kept making our way up the rock. Slowly, but surely, we made it up and passed the steep part of our climb. I was so proud of her, and the love that I felt for her during the climb as I was right behind her, knowing she could do it, was so strong. She did so great! About three years later I found myself dealing with some personal trials that had me feeling like I was stuck in a deep, dark canyon without knowing how or if I could climb out. 



One day while feeling particularly frustrated and hopeless, I was thinking and praying and realizing what I would have to do and
go through to get out, I found myself saying, “I can’t Father, I don’t want to Father, It's too hard”. 
I was blessed with an insight or answer to my prayers or a little tender mercy. I felt the Lord saying to me
“you know how much love you felt for your daughter as you helped her climb out of the canyon? I love you
just like that and more, and I am right here with you. You can do this. I am right here behind you.” 

I know He is there with me and with all of us through good times and bad. He meets us wherever we are and is ready to help. If we are on his path or off, He meets us where we are and helps us back.

-Josh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunny Sunflowers

Josh and I teach a group of 7-8 year old boys.    At our last activity, we learned about helpful and unhelpful thoughts.    We called helpful thoughts sunny sunflowers and unhelpful thoughts worry weeds.    When unhelpful thoughts like, “I can’t do it” or “I’m stupid” or “Nobody likes me” enter your mind, pull them and plant sunny sunflowers!    A few of my favorite sunny sunflower thoughts are: “I can do anything I put my mind to”, “I am enough”, “All of my problems have solutions”, “ I am perfect just the way I am”.     We planted sunflowers and strawberries in little pots and had pudding dirt cups with Oreos and worms for dessert.    It was a lot of fun and such a good lesson to learn!    Remember you are loved!    You can get through anything, and when things do get hard, ask for help!  😊   “The only tyrant I accept in this world is the ‘still small voice’within.”-Gandhi -Shara

A Virus, an Earthquake, and Me

This might be a lengthy post so if you need the short version you can jump to the quotes for the highlights.  I went back and forth on whether I should even bother to say anything about all the events but have been happening recently because part of me just doesn't want to hear any more about it ... but the other part of me thought that in a year or two from now I may want to go back and remember what was going on at the time of this post. Ironically what has scared me much more than the coronavirus has been the frantic reaction of a lot of people. There is so much to be frustrated about, irritated over, and downright angry at.  HOWEVER... it is also been encouraging to see so many good things and that is what I would like to focus on. I have seen some really creative ideas being shared on how to work with our kids at home and how to keep ourselves sane during a time of isolation.  Many have offered free online sources to help us still attempt to enjoy life.  Although ther